Thursday, February 18, 2016

The Lazy Mom Survival Guide





While I am obviously not an expert in the area of rearing a child, I am a full believer in making life easier on yourself. Why do it the hard way when there are so many things that have been invented to give you some peace of mind? And as a new mom I think peace of mind is more precious than gold, and even breast milk.

Below I have listed my absolute favorite (so far) baby products that have made it so much easier for me to be lazy.....um, I mean busy. Doing other, productive things of course. (But mostly being lazy.)


Baby Brezza: At first I thought this amazing, miracle machine was an Internet joke. Once I realized it was a real thing I HAD TO HAVE IT. It is basically a baby formula Keurig machine, one push of a button gives you a bottle ready to go at the perfect temperature! And trust me, at 3 AM this bad boy is a gift from  heaven!! I can make a bottle with my eyes closed. Seriously I've made it to the kitchen and back with a prepared bottle and I didn't open my eyes once. I will never have a baby in my home without this lifesaver. Now some of you may be thinking "Wow, what a waste of money, making a bottle isn't that hard," and all I have to say to you is that while you are still shaking that bottle and checking the temperature, my kid is already fed, back to sleep and I'm on my second episode of Maury.




4moms Infant Tub: For some reason I am completely paranoid and terrified about the temperature of my baby's bath water. I think I avoided a bath for the first week she was home because of it, and then I would feel guilty about all the sock fuzz I would find in between her toes. This bath tub is an absolute God-send, I am so obsessed with it and I wish I could french kiss the person who invented it. It checks the temp of the water so you can have it just right, and there is a continuous flow of warm, clean water into the area your baby sits in, while simultaneously draining out dirty water so it never gets too full. This thing was worth EVERY PENNY. Now bath time is quick, fun and I can enjoy my naked baby without worrying that I accidentally invited her to a crab boil as the main course. 




Rock & Play: This thing is AMAZING. My kid lives in it during the day, and it's so easy to put in any room of the house so you can keep an eye on them while they are sleeping. I set it right outside the shower so I can peek out at her, and we've also brought it to other people's houses when we know we will be there for awhile so we can set her to the side to nap instead of holding her the whole time (like when eating, dropping guac in your kid's eye is not cool.) 




Zip-Up PJs: A good friend mentioned to me that the zip-up sleepers are so much better than the snap up ones and I am SO glad I listened! It is so much quicker to get them dressed and undressed, we wear one every single night, sometimes two if it's an exceptionally messy day. (Not at the same time, but that does sound like an interesting idea.)  Just make sure you don't accidentally zip their skin up in it. Not that I've done that or anything.........




Halo Bassinest: This awesome bassinet is amazing, especially if you end up having a c-section! I tried doing the pack-and-play bassinet thing, and my back hurt so bad that I could barely bend over and pick up my baby out of it. This thing is level with your bed, you can lay your arm in it to soothe a fussy baby, or get them in and out without getting out of bed at all. The fancy one even has a night light, vibration and sounds. It also swivels around to make it easy to get in and out of bed. Space was a big concern for me as well because I have a small home; this goes right up next to the bed and the skinny stand makes it so I can still get around it. I also like the mesh sides so my baby monitor can look right into it when I'm in a different room. Plus, I'm vain and it's pretty!




Babyganics: After trying a million baby products Babyganics has by far become my favorite brand! (I also really like Aveeno just FYI.) It's organic and blah blah blah blah free, but I just like the way it smells and the cute packaging, duh.



4moms Mamaroo: Again, as a person with space issues in my house I didn't want a million different chairs, bouncers, swings, etc. cluttering up the place. So I splurged on this mamma jamma that does it all! Even better, you can control it from an app on your phone if you really want to indulge in some lazy couch time while baby is sleeping blissfully in what they "think" is a car ride, but really it's your bad ass baby chair.


Wipe Warmer: Last but not least, I always thought wipe warmers were dumb and they are on like every "You Don't Really Need This" list. But let me tell you, my kid hates being cold and will scream bloody murder out of a dead sleep when I put a cold wipe on her butt. I bought this to experiment, and now when I use a warmed up wipe she doesn't even wake up when I'm changing her at night. So obviously my baby doesn't give two shits about the temperature of her wipes, but it sure does make me feel better.




So I know people have been having babies for thousands of years without any of this stuff, and I'm sure plenty of people right now have perfectly happy babies without any of it too, but they are definitely not enjoying as much day time television as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment